NordicTrack is part of Icon Fitness, the largest fitness equipment manufacturer in the world with over a billion sold in fitness equipment last year. This industry giant can afford to provide you with the best ellipticals, the best warranties and the best customer service. This is the same parent company that creates ProForm ellipticals so you will often find similar models between these two brands.
In recent years, NordicTrack ellipticals have come to dominate the $800-$3,000 price range. They’ve accomplished this task by offering innovative and durable products at a valued price. We’ve made several visits to their facilities in Logan, Utah, where we tested their newest models, and talked to the people behind the machines. This is what we’ve learned…
Below are some of NordicTrack’s best values:
Check out a comparison chart of all NordicTrack ellipticals here.
1. Value — Icon sold 4 millions units of fitness equipment last year. Whew! When you consider the economy of scale, that would suggest NordicTrack can offer better value than their competitors, and they usually do.
2. Smart HD Touchscreen — NordicTrack offers a 7″-10″ full HD Touchscreen on several of their models. It gives you full access to all the interactive features found on iFit Live.
3. iFit Live Technology — NordicTrack commits considerable resources to research and development, which results in features like iFit Live. It’s a motivational technology that allows your elliptical trainer to communicate with the Internet. There are a number of interesting aspects, but two stand-out.
Run the World with Google Maps — iFit Live lets you simulate exercising anywhere in the world. You can trace a route on Google Maps with a computer. Your elliptical will simulate the terrain through the resistance and include. With the use of a laptop or smartphone you can visualize your progress with either a street, satellite or earth view on Google Maps. A number of models come with the Android browser, which allows you to view Google Maps directly on the console. Otherwise you need a tablet or smart phone.
Customized Workout Programs — You create a personalized account on iFit.com and define your fitness goals, like losing 10 lbs. over a 3 month period. Based on your input, iFit Live will download a personalized workout program designed to achieve that goal. The workouts are progressive and are designed to get you to continually improve. Several of the workouts are design by Jillian Michaels. The program controls the resistance and incline of your elliptical trainer and provides audio coaching for further motivation. Your stats are uploaded to your iFit.com account so you can track your progress, which helps many to further achieve their fitness goals.
Note: There is an additional cost for this feature. If the machine you select does not have a Smart HD Touchscreen, a laptop or smartphone is required to get an interactive full color view. If your machine doesn’t have Bluetooth, then an additional WiFi module ($99) will also be required. Read more about the types of iFit packages available.
4. FreeStride Trainers — The FreeStride Trainer comes with a variable 38″ stride. You can simulate exercising on a stair stepper, elliptical or treadmill. The design gives a more intense workout that allows you to target more lower body muscles. These types of machines are very popular in health clubs, and now NordicTrack makes them available for your home. These machines are some of NordicTrack’s hottest sellers starting at $1,499. Read reviews of the Freestride Trainer FS9i, FreeStride Trainer FS7i, and the FreeStride Trainer FS5i.
5. Rear Drive SpaceSaver Series — These rear drive machines are modeled after the award winning Precor elliptical trainers and include a power incline feature. The rear drive design offers a more ergonomic workout. In addition they are engineered for “snap assembly”. Take them out of the box, lift the console and you are ready to rock.
6. Incline and Decline — The NordicTrack Commerical 12.9 and the FreeStride Trainer FS9i offers the ability to both incline and decline the elliptical motion. This allows you to simulate going up and down mountains, and let’s you target multiple lower body muscles.
7. Speakers with MP3 Input — Most ellipticals offer speaker systems, but often the sound quality sucks. NordicTrack offers some of the best quality speakers on their machines.
9. Quality Control — We have watched this company go through a major transition over the years, and the quality of their machines has improved immensely. This is evident with some of the generous warranties they offer on their machines. You must realize they are not commercial grade machines, although they use the term commercial for several of their models. However, they are competitively durable and low maintenance.
10. Customer Service — NordicTrack has made strides in their customer service. Several years ago we received numerous complaints about an unresponsive service department. Back in 2007, when we first went out to their corporate offices, we met with the head of service, Dan Jones. He stated they were committing several million dollars to improve the quality of their customer service. Since then, we have seen the number of service issues dramatically drop. (Considering the volume of their sales, you can expect a few!) In 2016, we were extremely impressed with the improved level of their customer service.
11. HD Videos — View scenery from around the world with HD video workouts of famous landscapes like National Parks. The speed of the video is based on the speed of your motion. Your elliptical automatically adjusts the incline/decline or elevation of your machine.
12. Center/Mid Drive Ellipticals – The ACT Commercial series of center drive ellipticals takes up much less space than a traditional design. In addition, this configuration lets allows you to stay balanced over your feet. Front drive ellipticals sometimes make you feel like you need to lean forward to balance.
Learn more about each of these NordicTrack ellipticals by clicking into any one of our extensive reviews below.
FreeStride NordicTrack Ellipticals w/ 38″ Variable Stride & Android Browsers
Rear Drive NordicTrack Ellipticals
Front Drive NordicTrack Ellipticals
Mid Drive NordicTrack Ellipticals
See a comparison list of all NordicTrack elliptical models here.
Note: With our NordicTrack Elliptical Reviews we attempt to be as accurate as possible. NordicTrack regularly changes prices and features on the models. For the latest information please visit their website.
Our Review of NordicTrack Ellipticals
NordicTrack offers some of the best values you will find on residential elliptical trainers. The company excels in two areas — value and innovation. Because they are part of the largest fitness conglomerate in the world, and due to the economy of scale, NordicTrack can offer exceptional value.
In addition, this company is fanatical about innovation. They invest considerable amounts of resources in leading edge technology, which results in features like iFit Live.
Popular Consumer Magazine Review
CR gave the NordicTrack a “Best Buy” rating. They gave it a “good” rating for ease of use and construction, and an “excellent” rating for exercise range.
NordicTrack Customer Reviews
“Great machine for the money. Solid construction; extremely smooth motion; long stride length; features comparable to much more expensive units.”
“Most Bang for Buck! Well Built Machine. Smooth comfortable stride, sturdy construction, no adjustment to pedals between users, “bump less” resistance changes.”
Go to www.NordicTrackEllipticals.com to learn more.
If you are looking for NordicTrack Treadmills, click here for reviews.